Welcome!

Here at Don't Count On It Reviews, you can read reviews from different artists from different styles.
Enjoy!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fire In The Cave - Fire In The Cave EP (2012)


Band: Fire In The Cave
Country: Orlando, Florida
Style: Doom/Sludge Metal
Label: Independent

Sludge and Doom metal fusions are sort of tough for me. As I've said numerous times, I'm not a huge sludge or stoner fan, but I do really love doom, so fusions of the two (and I am simplifying the genre here) can be hit or miss for me. I got this EP a while back, hopefully you'll still find it relevant.
With only two songs to grab a listener's attention, for me, it really does impact how you approach any future material, if something in at least one of those songs catches my attention. Fire In The Cave immediately grabbed me a couple of months back when I first skimmed through the album, it just had that spark that I couldn't place. Their sound was a blend of doom atmosphere and heaviness, stoner riffs, and black metal bursts but it worked seamlessly together in ways that don't come about too often, and coming from someone who has heard that fusion done before, can turn into a mess. I also liked how there was a tonal difference between both songs as well. Civilized Swamp was a more riff based song, or at least that's how it felt to me, and it had more groove, more bounce to an extent, but Aeden Carr felt more melodic and a little bit darker. In a certain way I'd even say that Aeden Carr was a more focused track because it was as jarring in its shifts from one shape/style to the next, even though there are plenty in that track, it was a more fluid listen. In the end though, you can't go wrong with either track.
It's definitely a great EP from a great up-and-coming band with a lot of talent and originality. Both tracks really show a lot of promise and hopefully the band can live up to the potential they show on here. It's definitely worth checking out if you're a doom, stoner, sludge, or even black metal fan, it's got a little bit of something for everyone.
Overall Score: 7.5
Highlights: Aeden Carr

No comments:

Post a Comment